Tuesday, February 15, 2011

How to Socialize in a Socially Awkward Zone

So this Friday there's a YSA Winter Formal at the stake center in Springdale, AR--for those of you who have no idea what i'm talking about--I'll explain.

YSA stands for Young Single Adult. What makes you a "young, single adult"? Well in Mormon lingo, it means you're between the ages of 18 and 30, you aren't married, and you have no qualms about sticking to your gender's side of the basketball court drinking root beer.

"Winter Formal" means fancy dance.

"Stake Center" means church building.

Springdale, AR means that i'm about to experience something "other-worldly"...

Now don't get me wrong--i'm excited! Getting dressed up is DELIGHTFUL! BUT, am I really prepared for the amazingly awkward things that happen at church dances? I mean there are some strange folk at these gatherings....

Who to look out for:
You've got the crazies who dance non-stop until they're drenched in sweat, then say "Hey--wanna dance?!" *big goofy grin* and all you can think is argh....I don't reeeeeally want to touch you..... Then, you've got the creepers who latch onto ONE girl and stare...and hover.....they ask her to dance, but they don't talk to her while swaying in a circle....and then they continues to hover and ask for dances to slow songs in for the rest of the night. You've got the hot shots who don't dance at all, and you wonder why they even come; they're only matched by the wall flowers who simply don't dance because they're petrified--Girls man, GIRLS!!

Theres....
The guy you shouldn't give your number to.

The guy who's got a girlfriend--but it's complicated, and she's in a different state.

The guy who's actually 35.

The guy who's actually 17.

The guy that insists on wearing his cowboy hat the whole time (and we're 87% sure he's never ridden a horse).

The guy with the seersucker suit.

This is how they're pointed out to me--even before the dance has begun. Watch out for this, watch out for that. Now tell me people--what am I getting myself into??? Is this really my only option for dance craze outlet? You can only have a dance party in your apartment so many times before you're bored. I guess that's why we go though......because there's never a dull moment at a YSA dance.

But hey, it's gonna be great. Why? Because fun is created by those courageous enough to seek after it, and by golly--if I don't have fun, then I've failed at life. So bring on the seersucker--this girl wants to dance!!

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow. Stephanie. Everything you said is so true. Like, these are the exact same words that would come out of my mouth if I were to talk about a YSA dance. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a very interesting take on YSA dances, but I can see where you are coming from.

    ReplyDelete